Love Welcomes is recruiting refugee women to make their beautiful handmade textile products at their new workshop in the Design District, North Greenwich. Full training will be given alongside a programme of support and education including English lessons and computer skills.
Hours of work: 10am to 5pm Monday to Friday (full-time or part-time)
Start Date: Monday 28 June 2021
Location: Love Welcomes, Design District, Greenwich Peninsula
Nearest tube: North Greenwich on the Jubilee line
Application deadline: Friday 7 May 2021
WHY WORK FOR LOVE WELCOMES?
- Gain on-the-job training in needlework, weaving, block printing and other creative skills.
- Benefit from a tailor-made education programme to enhance your life skills, including English lessons, IT and computer skills and help accessing services, all of which are designed to build confidence and enhance mental and physical well-being in a new-found support network.
- Practice and improve your English in a friendly environment and benefit from weekly English lessons, if needed.
- Receive training on transferable skills once a month.
- Enhance your CV and gain work experience.
- Earn above the London Living Wage at £12 per hour.
- Travel costs zones 1–6 covered.
- Female-only supportive workplace.
- Make new friends in a creative, relaxed and welcoming space.
- You are a refugee woman settled in the UK; you have refugee status and the right to work in the UK and can provide relevant documentation.
- You have an interest in crafts and design and perhaps already have some experience in sewing or making, although this is not essential.
- You are 18 years or above.
- You have at least a basic level of English.
- You live within London, zones 1–6.
- You are able to work a minimum of 3 days per week.
- You are able to travel to the workshop in North
- Greenwich via public transport.
- You are able to attend paid training sessions, to meet the team and settle into the workplace. The dates will be confirmed nearer the time.
- You are able to start work on Monday 28 June 2021.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a covering letter. If you don’t have a CV then please include the information listed below in an email by Friday 7 May 2021. Any questions or queries beforehand can be messaged via WhatsApp to Anna on 07766 758293.
Please include the following information:
- Your name and contact details (email and mobile).
- The number of years you have been in the UK.
- Any experience you may already have in making or needlework.
- Any previous work experience.
- Whether you are able to work full or part time.
Download the full PDF version of the job advert here
ABOUT LOVE WELCOMES
Love Welcomes is a creative social enterprise that helps refugee women begin to stitch their lives back together. Each time you buy something from Love Welcomes, you’re supporting a refugee and her family as they begin to rebuild lives shattered by war, one stitch at a time. The team of Love Welcome women upcycle materials into beautiful, handmade products that are sold all over the world, with the proceeds going to support refugees.
Every purchase creates jobs, which create resources, independence and confidence for refugee women. By investing in women, you are investing in families and you are investing in the refugee community. Love Welcomes does three things:
1 Skills training for women currently living in refugee camps in Greece.
2 Employment: Love Welcomes employs refugee women in different locations to create beautiful products.
3 Humanitarian support for refugee communities still living in camps, including access to health and legal support, mother-and-baby supplies, nutritious food and support for micro businesses.
This is just the beginning.
We can’t stop the refugee crisis that has forced millions of men, women and children to flee their homes out of fear for their lives. But we’re not helpless either. We can help some of the women who arrive to weave a better future for themselves and their families – futures full of hope and purpose. Everything sold by Love Welcomes benefits women fleeing violence and poverty. So, every piece is a tiny part of a much bigger story.
A story about the joy of learning new things and being able to provide for your family.
A story of hope, how new skills can bring a steady income, so a better future awaits.
A story of laughter, with friends working together.
And a story of pride, that comes from creating something beautiful and improving the lives of your community.
With this amount of love and care, everything they make is beautiful. But it’s also much more than that.
Love Welcomes launched in 2017 in response to the refugee crisis in Greece. Today it works in Greece and other locations supporting refugees
in camps and those who have been resettled. It has employed and upskilled 82 refugee women and established a training centre for hundreds more. During the strict lockdowns caused by the COVID-19 pandemic Love Welcomes has ensured fresh food, nutrition and mother-and-baby supplies were delivered directly to the whole refugee community under lockdown in the camp during the past year.